Wednesday, June 27, 2012

How I stay focused. . .

Around last Thursday-Friday, another teen writer from Go Teen Writers asked me, "You've been working on Endangered a while now, right? You are my role model when it comes to sticking to one story! How do you do it?" Then, a bit shocked, I answered, "Well, I just tell myself it'll be worth it when I'm finished." But I kept thinking on it. How did I stay with one story for almost a year without tossing it? Without quitting? The answer?


I didn't. Honestly, I've quit Endangered at least a hundred times. I've worn out the "backspace" key on my old computer from deleting so many words and scenes. I've pushed my computer away and told myself, "I am done with this story. I can't do anything with it!" But for some reason, I always come back. 




Don't ask me why. This story has continuously defied my every word. It has basically written itself in a way that I didn't want it written.  It has changed from cruel pirate and sweet, godly heiress falling in love, to a hurting, sarcastic merchant ship captain and hateful, rude heiress disliking/hating each other and never having anything in common. Yeah. Believe me, I'm trying to fix the mess my characters have made, but let's not kid ourselves. Characters, despite the fact that they figments of our imaginations, are very stubborn, defiant people. What they do is hard to get undone. (Can I hear an amen from other writers/authors?) 




So to answer her (person who asked me how I do it) question in a more detailed manner, I didn't. Well, I did, but not without bumps. I only kept going because my family wanted me to finish it (I don't even know how they figured it out. I never told them, they found out somehow and then I had to let them read it.), I had told other people (GTW people, for the most part) and I didn't want to look like a quitter to anyone. My BFF Becki and her sister Sarah, and her other sister, Abri (they are all BFFs ^_^) have been, and still are, inspiration to me. I started forcing words onto each page, no matter how much my characters complained. I told them, "I am the writer. YOU ARE NOT. I am writing this story, you are just working in it." True, it didn't help with their attitudes, but it helped me, mentally. I did put it aside sometimes, and let myself wander onto another project. But I knew I would always find myself back at Endangered. And I did.


So, my answer to this question is, just push through it. Push through the doubts and frustrations. Put your heart and soul into each and every chapter, every scene, every paragraph, every word. Sure, sometimes you might need to step away and say, "Okay, I need a break. I need a change of scenery. I just need time away from this WIP right now." And don't be afraid to do it. Step aside from "So-and-So" and let your brain rebuild its creative juices. When you feel you're ready, go back to it. 


I also have this hilarious story to share with you. Sunday night I was on this writer's group. I posted this blog link, and asked for them to go there. This one person did. I was talking to whoever they were and they were reading my blog. They apparently didn't realize I was the blog owner and said, "Wow, she's only 13? I wrote horribly when I was 13." I decided to play along, because I needed something to do. I said, "Yeah, I guess she does." They then said, "Whoa, this is serious stuff!" I was a bit confused and asked, "What do you mean?" They said, "This girl interviews her characters?!?!!?" I started laughing and said, "Yeah, she does. It helps her to get to know her characters better." They said, "This girl is crazy." I had a good laugh over that, and thought y'all would too. :)

Hope you enjoyed!

God bless!
Galatians 6:9 KJV



15 comments:

  1. Haha. That's hilarious! And I personally think the interviewing characters idea is awesome. Just saying.

    By the way, great post! It's a great encouragment! When my annoying characters don't want to listen, I'll just keep pressing on. ;)

    But seriously, this is some good stuff! Great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love interviewing my characters. It keeps them real to me. :)

      Delete
  2. :/ I still feel like quitting Arya One, even though I'm so close to finishing it! I just feel like I ought to scrap it. I've also walked away from it many times over the past five years, because it's changed so much. Sometimes I can't remember what I took out and what I kept in. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when Ryan and K were step-siblings. :D Well, when they knew each other before Arya One. :) I also remember the pirate joke. Poor K hated that one.

      Delete
    2. Haha . . . I would have kept the joke in, but it seemed kinda pointless; a weak attempt at Ryan having a sense of humor. The sense of humor he has now is much more amusing.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, especially with his conscience. >_<

      Delete
    4. Yeah, those were so fun to write. :D

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this post. It was just the encouragement I need to help get on with my story.

    Also, I don't know if you do the whole blog awards thing, but I just nominated you for one if you do: http://lilyjenness.blogspot.com/2012/06/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll go check it out! And I'm glad I could give you encouragement. :)

      Delete
  4. Katelyn, I'm SO proud of you for sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you. You and your blog played a big part in it.

      Delete
  5. Hi Katelyn!
    You won the Sunshine Award in my tag post on my blog! It'll be posted soon, so go check it out! :) wtg!

    ReplyDelete